Tuesday, March 31, 2015

3.31.14


If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you might remember my post “I love you through and through” which was a reflection on the beauty of this land after a long motorcycle ride far out of town with my favorite driver, Victor. I still use him regularly and he still spoils me. A couple weeks ago, I had him take me out of town to meet Elizabeth for something. While we were waiting, he took me for another mini cruise. We just so happened to be in the village he went to school in from age 6-15, roughly. He took me around, showed me his former schools, where he lived with his Uncle while school was in session, and explained to me some Maasai vocabulary, traditions, and his experiences as a kid. His English is perfect so learning from him is easy. That day, I fell in love with Tanzania again. Today, I fell in love once more.

The rainy season has begun and in almost no time, things have gone from brown and dry to green and full, and I just got back from another long ride out of town with Victor. He took me to my project the same way as usual, right through town. Once we got out of town, we were going through fields of wet soil being plowed. It sounds pretty regular and less than thrilling when I write about it, but let me see if I can paint a better picture. We turned off the tarmac onto the dirt road, dodging puddles left and right. To my right are mud huts, bomas with cattle, locals sitting on the ground passing a sachet of the local alcohol between one another. To my left, vast fields as far as we can see. The dark soil has been plowed by the tractor in the distance, and in line with the tractor are men and women in their colorful garments, small buckets in one hand, dropping seeds with the other. Bordering these fields are trees and green as can be, and against the near black soil, it makes for a beautiful sight. In the backdrop, Mount Meru, playing shy today and hiding behind the clouds. The visual is incredible but what really seals the deal is the culture. The simplicity of the lives these people lead constantly leaves me in awe. Every few seconds a group of kids, some with no shoes, in tattered clothes holding sticks runs out to the street to say hi to the passing white person. This is my sight the whole way to the project, with some shrub fences protecting a little “neighborhood” of Maasai [k1] mud huts, or the occasional brick house. I love those ten minutes to the project from the main road and every time I go out there, I’m reminded why I love being here and why I chose that piece of land. I can take all the pictures I want, but it will never do this beauty justice.

I told Victor how much I love being out of town, so he took me on another “off the map” route back home. I don’t know how to describe the trip home, but it was beautiful. There were a couple times I wasn’t so sure we would get out of that spot, but we always did…even if I had to get off the bike and meet him where the rocks stopped or top of the hill. We weren’t on roads, just navigating through bush and forest, then through a shallow creek and up a dusty hill where we found a road and eventually made it back to the tarmac and eventually into town. You know, exactly the situation you would be cautioned about…a girl with a dead phone on the back of a motorcycle with some guy, quite literally in the middle of nowhere. Sorry parents! (not that sorry though)

Days like this motivate me to keep pushing through this foggy time. I love the people, the land and the culture and I can’t believe I almost let one “snake in the grass” take this all away from me. It brings me back to a song by one of my favorites, Ben Sollee…

When love comes, will you release the rain?

Will you change the world to the song you sang?

Or when the smoke clears, will your hope remain,

To make some peace on this land you claim?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment